B.C. Premier David Eby walking back tariff bill after ‘anxiety’ from stakeholders
- B.C. Premier David Eby announced plans to withdraw part four of Bill 7 due to concerns about unchecked powers, stating the need for safeguards after stakeholder feedback expressed anxiety about the bill's scope.
- Eby believes the legislation is necessary to respond swiftly to foreign threats and previously described the bill as potentially unbalanced.
- Eby acknowledges the bill's flaws, saying, 'the legislation didn’t get the balance right' and plans to reconsider sections of the bill due to opposition.
- Opponents argue the rest of Bill 7 still allows government overreach without proper checks and balances.
27 Articles
27 Articles
BC Premier David Eby Walking Back Tariff Bill After ‘Anxiety’ From Stakeholders
British Columbia Premier David Eby’s government is walking back a key portion of its controversial tariff response law, admitting the proposed legislation “didn’t get the balance right.” Eby said Friday that the legislation known as Bill 7 needs appropriate “safeguards” after a wave of criticism about potential overreach. “My interest in being able to move quickly to respond to the threat that British Columbia is facing got the better of … my un…
B.C. Premier David Eby withdraws part of tariff response bill after criticisms for overreach
VANCOUVER -- British Columbia Premier David Eby's government is walking back a key portion of its controversial tariff response law, admitting the proposed legislation "didn't get the balance right."
BC Premier David Eby walking back tariff bill after 'anxiety' from stakeholders
VANCOUVER — British Columbia Premier David Eby says his government is walking back a key portion of its controversial tariff response law, admitting the proposed legislation "didn't get the balance right."
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Left
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
Ownership
To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage