Uncertainty looms over PKK disarmament amid Turkey peace deal
- Most Kurdistan Workers' Party fighters are likely to disarm if a peace agreement with Turkey occurs, according to the former head of the Kurdistan Regional Government Strategic Research Center.
- Abdullah Ocalan remains influential over the PKK despite being imprisoned for 26 years; he called for the group to disarm and disband on March 1st, leading to a ceasefire announcement from PKK commanders in northern Iraq.
- None of the PKK's forces will take armed action unless they are attacked, according to a statement by the group.
- Kurds support the agreement, but there is no single leader who represents all Kurds due to divisions by international borders.
27 Articles
27 Articles
Interview with SDF boss Abdi about Öcalan's embassy and a withdrawal of the US army
Mazloum Abdi commands the "Democratic forces of Syria", they control the north and east of Syria and were instrumental in the fight against ISIS. He talks about what a withdrawal of US troops from the region would mean – and about the peace message of PKK leader Öcalan.
Turkey presses PKK to disarm 'immediately'
Turkey on Thursday insisted the PKK and all groups allied with it must disarm and disband "immediately", a week after a historic call by the Kurdish militant group's jailed founder."The PKK and all groups affiliated with it must end all terrorist activities, dissolve and immediately and unconditionally lay down their weapons," a Turkish defence ministry source said.


Turkey apparently wants unconditional dissolution of the PKK
The PKK had declared that it would let the weapons rest unless there were any attacks. Ankara, however, declared that operations would continue to be "uninterrupted"
Turkey continues attacks against PKK despite peace call
Turkey's armed forces have killed 26 Kurdish militants in Iraq and Syria in the week since jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan's disarmament call, the defence ministry said on Thursday. Ocalan last week called on his outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) to lay down its arms and dissolve, and the militant group declared an immediate ceasefire on Saturday. "The Turkish Armed Forces will continue its operations and search-scanning activities in the reg…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 58% of the sources lean Left
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
Ownership
To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage