UAE Supreme Court upholds sentences issued in mass trial of dissidents widely criticized abroad
- The United Arab Emirates Federal Supreme Court upheld the convictions of 53 dissidents, rejecting their appeals on March 4, 2025, as reported by Human Rights Watch.
- Nasser bin Ghaith received a life sentence for social media posts, according to the UAE government.
- The court's decision came after a trial criticized for violations of due process and fairness, leading to sentences from ten years to life imprisonment.
- Human Rights Watch stated that the ruling reflects severe repression of political dissent in the UAE and called for the immediate release of the defendants.
15 Articles
15 Articles
Eight terrorist organizations proscribed by UAE have headquarters in the UK
During a UK parliamentary session, MP Bob Blackman voiced his concern over the lack of scrutiny and opposition to terrorism, pointing out that the UK is home to eight terrorist organizations that are banned by the UAE. UAE banned 19 organizations for being related to Iran's IRGC terrorist organization. 8 of the 19 are headquartered in the UK Britain is rapidly becoming the new Afghanistan, where all terrorists flock to.pic.twitter.com/MKsuiR4Bw…
UAE rejects appeals of 53 sentenced in 'unfair' mass trial
The United Arab Emirates has rejected the appeals of 53 people convicted earlier in a mass trial, most of whom had been sentenced to life, with Human Rights Watch on Wednesday slamming the decision as "unfair". The State Security Chamber of the Federal Supreme Court rejected the appeals on Tuesday, state news agency WAM said, following the defendants' July sentencing for "terrorist" links to the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood. But HRW said the char…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 44% of the sources lean Left
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
Ownership
To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage